When you are ungrounded you will pick up thoughts and feelings from your surroundings that do not belong to you. You will feel off balance and your energy will be anxious. This is an issue for people who are extremely empathic. This is something that I have dealt with most of my life until I learned energy work and Reiki and started to understand energy.
Before you meditate, or do other spiritual work such as energy healings you should prepare and protect yourself. You do this by grounding yourself and centering your energies.
Centering means that one’s attention is always centered inside the body, more or less. This also causes a person to be more realistic, more present and more grounded and attentive. People who are not centered in themselves are usually more distracted, less present, more emotional and often feel pulled in several directions at once. Centering and grounding are thus related to one another, though they are not exactly the same. We can become so scattered and give our energy out to everyone around us that we feel drained. Spend a few moments focusing on your breath. Then ask all energies that are not yours to move out of your space and into the Light. Then ask all energies that are yours that you have left with others or in other places to return so that you own all your power now. Then you can proceed to grounding.
Grounding connects you to the energy of the earth, and it is important in healing work since it prevents you from depleting your own body's energy. Simply put, you connect to the earth by imagining you are connected to the earth. Sounds silly, but it works. Here are some different ways you can do it:
- Standing up in bare feet (if you can't have your feet bare then imagine your feet are bare) on the ground- you can do this anywhere. With you feet planted firmly on the bare earth, and by your visualization and intention send roots into the earth. As you inhale, you draw energy up through your new "roots", and as you exhale, you send your roots even further into the earth. Do this for several minutes-you should definitely feel a change in the state of your feeling.
- Eating grounding foods- When you are feeling like you are floating and up in the clouds, eat foods that will ground you to the Earth. Roots veggies: beets, carrots, turnips, radishes, ginger, and garlic. All of these veggies have roots that reach down into the ground.
- Go outside and put bare feet in the ground.
- Hug a tree!
- Walking. Walking slowly and deliberately is very helpful for centering and grounding. Think about your feet as you walk and send your energy into the earth with each slow, deliberate step. If helpful, imagine you are being pulled along when you walk by a magnet hidden under the earth.
- Sea Salt bath- purifying in nature this will help eliminate toxic energies and clear the auric field. You can add a bit of lavender essential oil to calm the energy field and clear out other peoples energies and thought patters you may have collected.
- Spend time in nature.
- Use grounding Crystals- such as hematite or black tourmaline
- I like to use essential oils as well. Grounding oil by Young Living assist with centering energies. I apply this blend to the bottoms of my feet.
- If you are attuned to Reiki I like to draw the Power Symbol (CKR) on the bottoms of my feet before doing any energy work.